Then they returned and prepared spices and perfumes. And they rested on the Sabbath, according to the commandment. (Luke 23:56, EMTV)
Jesus died as was foretold.
Jesus was buried as foretold.
Now His body is in the tomb.
The Jews observed their Sabbath. What were the people thinking? It must have been a repeated conversation. For some they wondered about the prophecies of the Scriptures, for others perhaps fear. They did know the prophecies of the resurrection. They did not know specially that Messiah would rise from the dead but understood the resurrection to refer to all people. Nevertheless, this first passage might have some hints.
- Isaiah 53:9-12 ESV And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth. (10) Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. (11) Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. (12) Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors.” (Note for Messiah to see and experience the blessings of the last half of verse 10 through verse 12, He would have to be alive).
- Daniel 12:2 NKJV and many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame and everlasting contempt.
There are the men traveling the road to the village of Emmaus who were talking about these things when Jesus joined them in their journey. This conversation, of course, would have been on Sunday after Jesus had risen.
It would have been a trying of their faith, for they did not understand completely about the resurrection of Jesus even though He had foretold this at least 4 times.
- Matthew 20:19 EMTV “…and they will hand Him over to the Gentiles to mock and to scourge and to crucify. And the third day He shall rise again.”
- Mark 9:9 EMTV “And as they came down from the mountain, He commanded them that they should relate to no one the things they had seen, till the Son of Man should rise from the dead.
- Mark 14:28 EMTV “But after I am raised, I will go before you into Galilee.”
- John 2:19 EMTV “Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
God kept them safe during this brief time and rewarded them with the sight of their previous Savior.
We learn the lesson that some things are hard to understand but it is most reasonable to believe God and the Scriptures. Do not lose hope.
Posted by Choco at 04:55 4 Apr 15
The Day after the Crucifixion
Labels: After crucifixion, Bible, Easter, Jesus, Passover