And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” (Genesis 2:18 NKJV)
The word for “helper” is ēzer. It is help or aid NOT in the sense of a lesser helping a greater. It is used for one who is necessary to whatever needs to be done. In other words, Adam could not have done the duties that God gave him unless he had this helper. The word is also used for divine aid as in Psalm 121:1-2.
Therefore, a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. (Genesis 2:24 NKJV)
It is here and elsewhere that the partner in marriage is the opposite gender, thus, male and female and no other combination. See also Malachi 2:14-16, Matthew 19:3-9, 1 Corinthians 7:2-4, etc.
A wife is good to have. This passage would also refer to the wife having a husband.
He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD. (Proverbs 18:22ESV)
Can define marriage to whatever they want as in male/male, female/female, male/female, human and animal, incestuous, sibling marriage, polygamy, adult/child, etc. For a longer list of types of marriages see here towards the bottom of the article.
What is marriage?
- It is a commitment of two people to each other.
- It is a blending of two persons to one goal and life. The goal is defined by the two involved.
- The word “bond” does not refer to chains and fetters. It refers to the tie of affection towards one another and in this case marriage. “Something that gives people or groups a reason to love each other or feel they have a duty to each other. (Macmillan Dictionary’s entry “Bond”).
- A problem is sometimes better solved if two people are involved who have common interests. One may see the other’s mistake or know of a better approach due to experience.
- One may have a better education in a topic or some experience in that area in question.
Wisdom (common sense) bond
- One may see the others foolish, naive, or ignorant decision and be able to correct them.
- One may be wiser than the other.
- The spiritual bond would include worship together.
- Each person may have a different spiritual gift to compliment the others.
Emotional bonds would include:
- Goals of working together to reach goals. Two dedicated people may/probably have greater success than one person.
- Defeats and troubles. Having two who are as close as marriage is can talk, listen, and support each other through a difficulty.
- Happy times. Celebrating these good times together is much more meaningful.
- Physical intimacy with the one most special person in your life.
- Mutually bringing physical intimacy in each other completely.
- Consider these sources for more benefits here, here, and here (the article has some legal benefits per the USA government).
Posted by Choco at 10:58 on 5 Jun 15
6 things about marriage?
Labels: Family, Marriage