in absolute truth?
in strict moral absolutes?
The Barna group did a survey on absolutes.
They found, among other things, these six principles:
1. ‘The best way to find yourself is by looking within yourself.’ An incredible 91% of US adults and 76% of practicing Christians agreed ‘completely’ or ‘somewhat’ with this statement.
2. ‘People should not criticize someone else’s life choices.’ Overall 89% of adults and 76% of Christians agree.
3. ‘To be fulfilled in life, you should pursue the things you desire most.’ 86% of American adults and 72% of Christians said, ‘Yes.’
4. ‘The highest goal of life is to enjoy it as much as possible.’ 84% of adults and 67% of Christians agreed that this was the highest goal of life.
5. ‘People can believe whatever they want, as long as those beliefs don’t affect society.’ Those who agreed with this statement consisted of 79% of American adults and 61% of practicing Christians.
6. ‘Any kind of sexual expression between two consenting adults is acceptable.’ Incredibly, nearly 69% of American adults and an astonishing 40% of Christians agreed with this.
Something is wrong.
If morality is different in different countries and with individuals based on their own views, there are not standards. Is God so fickle that He has differing laws and rules that change all the time? What kind of weak-kneed God is that?
1. “For I, Yahweh, have not changed, and you, O children of Jacob, have not perished. (Malachi 3:6 LEB)
2. in order that through two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge may have powerful encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us, (Hebrews 6:18 LEB)
3. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of change. (James 1:17 LEB)
Which is correct? Does God and His rules change at every whim or do they remain the same?
I believe that God does not lie, nor change. He is consistent. I can rest in that. If He changes all the time, how could we ever know what He wants or maybe He will change His mind about His love for us.
The Christians today are starving spiritually. We need to study our Bibles. We need this food.
God bless you.
Therefore having put away all malice, all guile, hypocrisy, envy, and all slanders, as newborn babes, desire the genuine milk of the word, that by it you may grow, if indeed you tasted that the Lord is good. (1 Peter 2:1-3 EMTV)
Posted at 16:01 By Choco on 8 Jul 16
Labels: Absolutes, Morals, Truth