The word help, helpmate, helpmeet, is often misunderstood. What does it mean?
The Hebrew Word
Blue Letter Bible
Lexicon :: Strong’s H5828 – `ezer
Part of Speech
Root Word (Etymology)
TWOT Reference: 1598a
KJV Translation Count — Total: 21x
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
one who helps
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
All the verses using this word
- Genesis 2:18, 20 KJV – And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet[H5828] for him. … And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet[H5828] for him.
- Exodus 18:4 KJV – And the name of the other [was] Eliezer; for the God of my father, [said he, was] mine help,[H5828] and delivered me from the sword of Pharaoh:
- Deuteronomy 33:7, 26, 29 KJV – And this [is the blessing] of Judah: and he said, Hear, LORD, the voice of Judah, and bring him unto his people: let his hands be sufficient for him; and be thou an help[H5828] [to him] from his enemies. … [There is] none like unto the God of Jeshurun, [who] rideth upon the heaven in thy help,[H5828] and in his excellency on the sky. … Happy [art] thou, O Israel: who [is] like unto thee, O people saved by the LORD, the shield of thy help,[H5828] and who [is] the sword of thy excellency! and thine enemies shall be found liars unto thee; and thou shalt tread upon their high places.
- Psalm 20:2 KJV – Send thee help[H5828] from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion;
- Psalm 33:20 KJV – Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he [is] our help[H5828] and our shield.
- Psalm 70:5 KJV – But I [am] poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou [art] my help[H5828] and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying.
- Psalm 89:19 KJV – Then thou spakest in vision to thy holy one, and saidst, I have laid help[H5828] upon [one that is] mighty; I have exalted [one] chosen out of the people.
- Psalm 115:9-11 KJV – O Israel, trust thou in the LORD: he [is] their help[H5828] and their shield. O house of Aaron, trust in the LORD: he [is] their help[H5828] and their shield. Ye that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD: he [is] their help[H5828] and their shield.
- Psalm 121:1-2 KJV – [[A Song of degrees.]] I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.[H5828] My help[H5828] [cometh] from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
- Psalm 124:8 KJV – Our help[H5828] [is] in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
- Psalm 146:5 KJV – Happy [is he] that [hath] the God of Jacob for his help,[H5828] whose hope [is] in the LORD his God:
- Isaiah 30:5 KJV – They were all ashamed of a people [that] could not profit them, nor be an help[H5828] nor profit, but a shame, and also a reproach.
- Ezekiel 12:14 KJV – And I will scatter toward every wind all that [are] about him to help[H5828] him, and all his bands; and I will draw out the sword after them.
- Daniel 11:34 KJV – Now when they shall fall, they shall be holpen with a little help:[H5828] but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.
- Hosea 13:9 KJV – O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me [is] thine help.[H5828]
What it means:
B1 She has some wisdom, gift, insight, that the man does NOT have.
B2 If she does not give her wisdom and insight, the man is missing what he needs.
B3 She has different gifts and abilities that the man does not have. He lacks these things.
B4 He needs her.
What it does not mean:
B3 Right hand man, etc.
B5 Anything that suggests a lesser, an employee, a follower, attendant, an aide, etc.
B6 It also does not mean that she is only good for sex, having babies, and cleaning house.